Pages

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Happy 4th....5th of July!!

I hope all had a great Celebration of Freedom day!! Ours was spent at my mom in law's house having some great food and letting the kids run ragged around the backyard. It was shortened by lots of rain, but it stopped early enough for us to make it home on our sloppy slippery roads while listening to great music on the radio to shoot some fireworks. Dad had to work so it was just me and the kiddos. I have to say I can't remember a 4th of July where it was actually almost cold out- kids were shivering with jackets on! Colton wasn't too fond of the loud and whistling ones- he let out a shriek and got a bit nervous but he loved the fountains!
The 4th is one of my all time favorite holidays. I missed being able to watch the town's firework display this year complete with the patriotic soundtrack, it always makes me misty eyed. Kinda silly, but I really am Proud to Be an American, complete with our country's ups and downs. We are lucky, we have a house, a paycheck coming in, food on our table, and cars that get us places, we are healthy and happy, and my kids have clothes on their backs. I definetly remember how we got here, and at what price that was. I have been there when friend's husbands have left for war, and have been joyful to see them return. I don't take for granted my ability to do anything- send my kids to school, worship whom I choose, shop where I want, read books, listen to music of my choice, and even choose what clothes I put on.
We as a country are like a family, we are not perfect, and we are to blame sometimes, we have a lot of problems right now, but the mark of a good family is to come together and be able to join up in celebration, or be there for each other in tough times, and understand where each member is coming from. Just as a family does, we have seen struggles together, and our country has been beaten and bruised and has risen up time and time again. I can only have faith that we will keep pulling up our boot straps and trudging on, even when jobs are lost, and homes are taken, even when money is scarce and food bank shelves are emptied, we will keep on. Our wear will show, but we will patch it. Our pain will be present, but we will ignore it. Our faith as a whole will be tested, but we will overcome. We will be discouraged, but we will be lifted up. We will stand strong, we will succeed, we are a family, we are Americans. God Bless America!!


The Ragged old Flag, by Johnny Cash

I walked through a county courthouse square
On a park bench, an old man was sittin' there.
I said, "Your old court house is kinda run down,
He said, "Naw, it'll do for our little town".

I said, "Your old flag pole is leaned a little bit,
And that's a ragged old flag you got hangin' on it".
He said, "Have a seat", and I sat down,
"Is this the first time you've been to our little town"

I said, "I think it is"He said "I don't like to brag,
but we're kinda proud ofThat Ragged Old Flag
"You see, we got a little hole in that flag there,
When Washington took it across the Delaware.

and it got a bad rip in New Orleans,
with Packingham & Jackson tugging at its seams.
and It almost fell at the Alamo
beside the Texas flag,But she waved on though.

She got cut with a sword at Chancellorsville,
And she got cut again at Shiloh Hill.
There was Robert E. Lee and Beauregard and Bragg,
And the south wind blew hard onThat Ragged Old Flag"

On Flanders Field in World War I,
She got a big hole from a Bertha Gun,
She turned blood red in World War II
She hung limp, and low, a time or two,

She was in Korea, Vietnam,
She went where she was sent by her Uncle Sam.
She waved from our ships upon the briny foam
and now they've about quit wavin' back here at home

in her own good land here She's been abused,
She's been burned, dishonored, denied an' refused,
And the government for which she stands
Has been scandalized throughout out the land.

And she's getting thread bare, and she's wearin' thin,
But she's in good shape, for the shape she's in.
Cause she's been through the fire before
and i believe she can take a whole lot more."

So we raise her up every morning
And we take her down slow every night,
We don't let her touch the ground,
And we fold her up right.

On second thought I DO like to brag
Cause I'm mighty proud of That Ragged Old Flag"

1 comment:

lost said...

I came across your blog have to say I am impressed with the passion that you have. i just had to say thank you for reminding me how good we all have it. I hope that passion never dies. with love and hope